My husband "Royal" Royce Graham was born in North Dakota, grew up in Montana. The oldest of 5 boys, 1 girl in a homesteading family. He lost his father at an early age and pitched in to help his mother. Went into the Army in 1943 and served in Japan until 1946.
He didn't marry until he was 34 and then to me, a widow with 4 little children. He adopted them as his own, and we had 2 more. We were married 37 years at his death.
Royce became a born again Christian at age 50. He was a student and a teacher of the Bible and spent many hours reading it, and praying for others.
At the end of May, 1996 he was diagnosed with lung cancer and started radiation treatments. But before the treatments were completed he died of a massive stroke, July 22nd.
He was a "simple" man, in that he did not need a lot of "things" to make him happy. He enjoyed people, and reading the Bible, working in his garden, cooking, and "mastering" his computer.
Here are some of his notes from his studying:
1) Nothing can restore the past and nothing can bind the future, but today you can live in the full blessing of God, the Father.
2) An hour alone with God each day, studying, meditaing on His Word, as well as praying, will open your eyes, clear your mind, jump start your heart, and make you glad you were hungry for His spiritual food.
3) You can live a contented life only when you learn that Jesus knows you perfectly, accepts your flaws, and loves you unconditionally. Once you become confident of His care, anxiety will be a thing of the past.
4) Come to me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28).
5) Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer, nor His mercy from me! (Psalm 66:20).
6) There is now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus...(Romans 8:1).
Some of the things we learned in this experience of illness and death is that God wants to be so closely connected to us that we are never apart from Him, even in the deepest valley experience. And as Royce said, "We win, no matter what happens here and now...if we know Him!"
May God grant you His blessing,
You can send email to Shirley at: [email protected]
anniversary date 7-22-96
date of post 11-21-96